Home > Hand Tools, Woodworking > My First Attempt At a Tote

My First Attempt At a Tote

February 26th, 2010

So I’ve had this #7 that I got with a broken tote. I glued it back together with titebond and it snapped a couple of uses later. I cleaned out the glue and tried gorilla glue… Broke again….

I’ve been using it for 6months with a broken tote so I made one last attempt to glue it back together and while applying clamping pressure I managed to break it in an additional spot.

Finally I decided to try my hand at making my own. It wasn’t near as bad as I though it was going to be.

First I glued a template to some rosewood.

Then it was off to the “tailed devils” for the first part of it’s construction.I justify this to myself because I needed a good first project for my new Christmas present Jigsaw…. and I hate braces!!! (Note for you non woodworkers: Most serious hand tool users consider it a borderline religion and the use of electrons a sin.)

I’ve never used rasps before so this was a learning process. I was shocked at how fast they work!!!

It’s certainly not perfect, in fact it already looks old due to some dents and dings of mistakes with the rasp, and the fit isn’t quite perfect.

But I’m happy with the first attempt and I finally have my jointer back. Finished with BLO, Shellac, and paste wax. Took about 2.5 hours of work.

Categories: Hand Tools, Woodworking Tags:
Comments are closed.